Sorry, but this job is no longer available.
Notice: This job opening is no longer available.
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is excited to announce the opening of a second Market in San Francisco at the corner of Divisadero and Hayes, and we need passionate, hardworking, detail-oriented individuals who love food and feeding others. Both of our Markets (and our Creamery) are looking to fill a variety of positions. Details about this specific job can be found below.
Bi-Rite is a learning-community, with endless opportunity for on-the-job training and education about food and service. Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 20% discount on purchases throughout the store, a medical and dental plan after 90 days, a meal with your shift, a 401K retirement plan after one year of employment, access to 18 Reasons classes and the opportunity for career advancement. We invite you to become part of our family!
Job Summary, Duties & Responsibilities, Qualifications
The Produce Shift Supervisor (PSS) works closely with the Produce Shift Supervisor (IM), Head of Produce Department, and the Store Manager. S/he will work with the PSS (IM) to train and develop members of the produce team to ensure superior guest service, product knowledge, quality control skills, excellent speed, time management, and proper aesthetic standards. S/he will retrain and refresh training as necessary and make adjustments to improve training systems. S/he will own the upkeep of the department signage and assure that it legible, accurate and highlights the seasonal produce. The PSS will oversee projects assigned to produce clerks and make sure they are completed in an efficient and timely manner. The PSS should be the produce information expert (farming techniques, farms, cooking/prep methods, etc) and be readily available to help other Bi-Rite employees and guests with produce questions. S/he will take inventory and place orders in the absences of the PSS (IM) and communicate with the PSS at the other store about the buying/pricing strategies
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Strong understanding of produce: different varieties, seasonality and growers.
• Set excellent guest service and professional work examples for all staff by regularly working in the department and interacting with guests.
• Supervise daily produce operations. Distribute work load; prepare prep lists, project lists, and break/meal schedules.
• Ensure guests get best quality produce available by maintaining proper culling and rotation standards with staff.
• Responsible for upkeep of department, merchandising standards and signage accuracy (incl. seasonal and farm signage).
• Takes inventory, place orders, enter costs, and sets prices in the absences of the PSS (IM)
• Educate staff on basic cooking techniques
• Get order sheets from kitchen managers, and place produce orders for the Bi-Rite market and commissary kitchen for weekend orders.
• Manage departmental composting, recycling, and waste including box breakdown.
• Remain informed and up-to-date on store offerings, products, events, services, short and long-term goals; remain current on all additional posted company and store information and memos.
Personnel & Staff Development
• Good organizational skills with the ability to get things done and keeps composure under stressful situations.
• Strong communication skills able can be direct with staff in a timely manner.
• Advise the store manager of any personnel situations or policy violations that have an adverse affect on the store’s operating performance and, or your ability to perform any of your duties in a timely manner.
• Attend scheduled store and departmental meetings whenever necessary.
• Participate in training and developing produce staff members to ensure thorough product knowledge, quality control skills, acceptable speed, time management, proper aesthetics standards (case displays, signage, and packaging), excellent sanitation and safety, and exceptional customer service. Retrain and refresh training as necessary. Help evaluate, adjust and improve training systems
• Set proper and professional tone for staff communication and demeanor.
• Evaluate and improve staff members’ performance and growth. Get information about staff members to Head of Produce in a timely manner for performance reviews.
• Maintain a positive and friendly relationship with owners, management team and all other staff inside the store.
• Build strong relationships with the Store Manager and maintain constant communication.
• Be familiar with all procedures and policies (Bi-Rite Market Staff Handbook, Manager’s Handbook, Injury & Illness Prevention Program, Departmental Training Materials, job descriptions and Orientation Manual). Exemplify and uphold all policies and procedures.
Safety and Sanitation:
• Observes and corrects Produce Clerks to insure they use all equipment safely and correctly.
• Insures that Produce Clerks follow all safety and sanitation regulations and maintain a clean, organized work area at all times.
• Certification Requirements: California Food Handler’s Card, required within 30 days of hire date.
• Must be aware of the environment at all times, people coming in and out of the store and suspicious people. Advise manager on duty if necessary.
• Protect company assets at all times including in-house, customer and vendor theft. (Do NOT put yourself in danger at any time)
• Keep produce areas (displays, backstock, underneath produce tables, etc.) clean and organized. Complete cleaning projects as assigned by the produce buyer and supervisor.
• Be aware of all refrigeration units in use by the produce department. Make sure temperatures are always in the proper range and advise a manager when otherwise.
• Constantly monitor stock of supplies (markers, signs, bags, etc.) and advise produce buyer or supervisor when supply is low on any item.
Continuous carrying/transporting of loads less than 15 lbs.; intermittent standing, walking, bending reaching, sitting and carrying/transporting of loads between 15-50 lbs.; occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation. Occasional environmental exposures to cold, heat and water with rare exposure to dust and fumes. Use of machinery including, but not limited to, dollies, cash registers, computers, printers, fax machine and other office equipment. Use of knives required.
The list of requirements, duties and responsibilities listed above is by no means a complete list. It is merely a general summary for the position described. Management reserves the right to revise or change this position description at any time.